6/10/18

The Nintendo Switch and Autism

I will admit I had been longing to play Breath of the Wild and Mario Oddesy, as they seemed to be the perfect evolution of the kind of games that I first started playing. After all my journey as a gamer started way back in 1996. Yes, while many were playing the N64 and PS1, I was enjoying games like Super Mario World, The Legend Of Zelda-A Link To The Past and Mega Man X among so many others. These were the types of games that introduced me to the medium, and where the love for certain genres was born. Little did I know that the new console the Switch, which these games were on, was not only the helpful therapeutic tool I needed, it also reinvigorated the ideas of what made gaming so fun from the start with these two incredible games.
I had no idea then, and until a few years ago that I was Autistic. While that may seem inconsequential to some, most will know that games are a great source of therapy for those with Autism. I had forgotten in the generations in between what made some of Nintendo's best games so special, and also soothing. I had no clue how helpful these games were, I was learning puzzle-solving, facing my fears and gaining confidence in a skill. While the games that came after, all included these facets and also gave birth to some of my favorite genres, through games like Kingdom Hearts, Half-Life, Dynasty Warriors 5, Final Fantasy X, Halo 2 and Call of Duty 2 just to name a bare few. These games from other developers, while amazing in their own rights, seemed different from the design philosophy that makes most Nintendo games so damn special. Nintendo was all about fair challenges, and logical game design that pushed the player to discover the power within themselves, most games do this, but no one does it better than Nintendo.
While many Nintendo systems since have delivered quality games, I have to admit with the exception of the GameCube, Yes, the GameCube, I have not truly enjoyed a Nintendo console in the same ways, for quite some time. But, for whatever reason at the time, other consoles were providing the "fix" as some thought gaming was. However, in reality, they provided the therapeutic and relaxing activity, that I so desperately need. As I matured my need for more aggressive games grew, as they helped me deal with my anger in a safe, and healthy manner. Violent games, or aggressive music soothes my anger or frustrating feelings, while that is not true for all, it does not mean it is not true for a good number of people. 
Which brings me to the Switch, while I was dreading buying a console that I would only play two games on, four at the most including the Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors spin-offs, I eventually decided instead of worrying about the what-ifs, I would take a leap and grab the Switch with Mario and Link as my companions. All the fancy features interested me, the way a child would be interested in a chore. Sure, it may be helpful, but it hardly seemed interesting or like something I would wish to partake in. Being able to take the console on the go, for example, seemed totally useless to me, as I have not truly played a game on the go since the GameBoy Advance SP. Then after indulging in Mario and Link for so long, I realized it was time to leave for dinner. But to be honest, riding in cars causes major anxiety, and I also do not generally enjoy being in crowded public spaces. Which is when my friend encouraged me to bring my Switch, and play in the car and at dinner.
Little did I know how transformative this would be. With a trip to the gaming store, I got a carrying case, messenger bag, and external battery so I could have my Switch with me at all times. This may seem extreme, but just as some see my cannabis use as extreme, I use my tools appropriately. It takes a lot of self-discovery, learning, and training to be able to manage these things on your own. Some will need caregivers so these tools are not abused, as anything can be abused. But for those with Autism, indulging heavily in a relaxing and healthy therapeutic device is nothing to feel shame for, or something to be limited unless it is truly doing damage. I will admit, Mario and Link, do not exactly kick tons of ass, and while I loved the Warriors spin-offs, I sometimes needed something with more vigor.
Now with Doom, I had an even greater therapy device when my anger would keep me from enjoying Zelda or Mario. Link and Mario are adventurous puzzle solvers, these adventures are great for learning to face your fears, learning puzzle-solving in an even greater way than previous games, and you can even take out frustration on the game's enemies. Yet, there are times when I do not feel like figuring out a puzzle, sometimes I just want to march in a straight line, slaughtering any and everything in sight. Doom on the Switch may not look as amazing as it does on other devices, but the ability to play on the go is unprecedented. I was also surprised at how many other choices there were for this console, that I was so sure only had a few worthwhile titles, and some cool but useless features.
Now I had access to the kinds of games I started out loving, and grew to love, all available to play at home or on the go, with the same visual quality, and all with the simplicity of simply lifting the device off of its dock. Do games look quite as good on the Switch as they do on other consoles? Sadly no, however most games on the Switch use art styles that make those fancier textures meaningless. It reminded me that games do not need to look uber sharp, so long as the art and the gameplay are invigorating. Is the Switch my goto console, yes and no. I find myself playing it nearly as often as my PS4, which is my goto, and that's something that I would have laughed at before having a Switch in my hands.
Will your results with the console be the same as mine, there is no way to know. I can say for certain that Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend Of Zelda-Breath Of The Wild are among the best games I have ever played, both for someone with Autism and just gamers in general. These games do something most simply do not care to do, they provide a level of accessibility and fun that means they are never stressful, and yet, they also promote the courage to push onwards and to never give up. Just as that Star seems within and out of reach, you learn that it is attainable with focus and perseverance. Is this an article, a love letter to my new console, or an oddly written thank you to Nintendo... I have no clue. All I can say is give the Switch a try, this console is worth showing absolute love and support for Nintendo. After years of struggling to find a balance, to appeal to the casual and to the lifetime gamer, they did it. Now if only developers and publishers will jump on the bandwagon, and continue to provide excellent games for an outstanding console.

No comments:

Post a Comment