12/23/19

An Interview with Atypical's Amber A.K.A Layla Weiner

Layla Weiner portrays Amber on the hit Netflix Show Atypical, Amber became a recurring character during the show's second season, where she became a prominent fixture of Sam's Support Group. Amber is easily the standout in the Support Group, and that is due to Layla's wonderful on-screen presence, she easily steals any scene she is in with her charm and natural charisma. Like the other performers in the Support Group, Layla is on the Spectrum which allows her to bring her unique life experiences and personal qualities to the role.  Recently, I had the pleasure of asking Layla about her time on the show, her inspirations, and her life experiences. 

GamerGuy1991
Hi there, first off thank you so much for taking the time to give us an interview, I loved your work on Atypical, I thought the introduction of the Support Group in Season Two was wonderful. Your character, in particular, is very captivating and quickly became one of my favorites on the show, I was wondering if you had any input into your character?

Layla Weiner
Thank you so much & the only input I put into my character was to just be myself because I feel like I am definitely Amber.

GamerGuy1991
What are some of the experiences that have shaped your performances?

Layla Weiner
The experiences that have shaped my performance is acting my whole life. When I say I’ve been doing this my whole life is because of my autism diagnosis. Due to my autism I would act out as a kid and most people would not want to be around me or interact with me. I then realized at a really young age that maybe if I acted “neurotypical” I would have friends and fit in. I copied the other kids behavior and sure enough I got friends even though I wasn’t acting like myself. I realized when I got older I can just act like myself and be comfortable even if no one seemed to like me. Being yourself is way better than being like your peers. However, this was just the start of my acting. When I was in fourth grade I was in my first play and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. From there I knew my calling.

GamerGuy1991
What would you like others to know about Autism, and how it has affected your life?

Layla Weiner
What I would like to tell others about those who have autism is to treat them the way you would like to be treated and to not talk down to them. My diagnosis has affected my whole life because all I wanted to be understood and to be heard and I do have a story to tell.

GamerGuy1991
What attracted you to the role of Amber on Atypical?

Layla Weiner
When I was given my part of Amber I would rehearse my lines at home and with others. The more I said my lines the more I realized I was her based on what she was saying. Ex. “but mom cake” is a line I would say in real life.

GamerGuy1991
What is your favorite thing about playing Amber?

Layla Weiner
My favorite thing about Amber is that I am her. She loves medical stuff, cake, fashion, and she has autism just like me.

GamerGuy1991
If you could tell your younger self one thing, what would it be?

Layla Weiner
If I could tell my younger self one thing, it would to tell her everything is going to be ok and don’t be afraid to be yourself. You may not feel like it now, but you are an inspiration to others and you can do anything when you put your mind to it. You’re beautiful, creative, and one heck of a fashionista!

GamerGuy1991
What inspired you to pursue a career as an actress?

Layla Weiner
What inspired my acting career was acting my whole life whether if it was off stage or on stage.

GamerGuy1991
Is there a special memory or memories that you have from your time on the show?

Layla Weiner
My favorite memory from being on the show was to meet everyone on set because they are my Atypical family, literally and to have the honor of acting on the show.

GamerGuy1991
What film or show has influenced or just stuck with you the most?

Layla Weiner
A film that has stuck with me the most is Edward Scissorhands because even though the main character is different and strange, he makes the best out of it and uses his differences to find his talents.

GamerGuy1991
What job or hobby outside of acting would you enjoy pursuing?

Layla Weiner
My favorite hobbies outside of acting is drawing, painting, writing, doing my hair and makeup, video games, driving my car, traveling, and fashion.

GamerGuy1991
If you could play any role past, present or future, what would be your dream role?

Layla Weiner
If I could do any future role I would want to play any horror film character. I would want to play the victim of the movie or the villain or killer.

GamerGuy1991
What's next for Amber, and what's next for Layla?

Layla Weiner
I’m not sure what is next for Amber but I know what is next for Layla is that I want to audition for more tv shows and be in a movie one day, but right now I am trying to find my purpose in life and what the meaning of life is for me. Thank you for the interview, I feel honored and I really appreciate the opportunity.

GamerGuy1991
No, thank you Layla, it was an utter delight to chat with you, and I can't wait to see what you do next! Catch Layla on Atypical's second and third seasons on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment